The future for camping is more secure than it’s ever been.
The North American Camping Report sponsored by KOA each year gives interesting facts on the camping industry as well as what campers want when camping and how often they intend to camp in the coming years.
The report tells us that:
- There are large increases in camping interest among every generation.
- They continue to camp closer to home. In 2014 13% of camping trips were under 50 miles and in 2018 the number rose to 31%. That’s a significant increase.
- They intend to camp three or more times per year. Since 2014 this has increased by 72%.
- One-third of all campers identified themselves as lifelong campers, the most ever measured in that category.
- Millennials make up the bulk of new campers in 2018.
- 54% of campers travel less than 100 miles from home to camp.
- While they seem to be taking shorter trips, they are taking a higher number of trips.
- Four in ten camping households say that the campground site type and quality of site have the most impact on their selection of campgrounds.
- An overall love of the outdoors is the emerging force for Americans to get outside. Escaping crowds and noise was the driving factor in 2018.
- Across all age groups, campers in 2018 say they are less likely to get online, even occasionally, while camping.
- Since 2014, the percentage of campers who intend to camp more often has doubled to 46 percent in 2018, which is a strong indicator that they are finding ways to camp with their preferences and their stages in life. Camping families and millennial campers are the most optimistic about their future camping.
Give us a call to receive your copy today! 616-532-4835
Request a copy by email: